Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year!

HAPPY NEW YEAR! What a year 2012 was and I'm glad it's over. On to bigger and better things and leaving the past behind. The traditional part of moving on with a new year is making New Years Resolutions. The typical is losing weight, praying more, eating better, and all the boring stuff. I don't want to make promises to myself I can't keep or afford, but I love this game. The last time I made a New Years Resolution was a few years ago when I wanted to see 50 movies in theaters, not counting repeats. I believe I saw 75 movies that year. Working at a movie theater helps, so it's not like it was hard. This time I around, I'm working at a bookstore, and I do need to read more. So my New Years Resolution is....drum roll....to read FIFTY BOOKS by December 31, 2013. That's a little over a book a week and about 13 books every three months. It's almost impossible, but I can make it happen. I get 20% off on regular days, 30% off on paydays, plus I can check out books from the store like a library and I have a library card that I actually use. All I need is the motivation. This isn't about the number of books I read or the reading level, it's about discipline and building my confidence. I need to teach myself to stick to things. Picking 50 random books is chaos, so I made a fun little plan:

Three Nicholas Sparks Books
Three Karen Kingsbury Books
Three John Grisham Books
Three James Patterson Books
Two Ann Coulter Book
Three Stephen King Books
The Last Three "A Series of Unfortunate Events" Books
The Mortal Instruments (5 Books)
Three Classics
Three African-American Fiction Books
One Biography/Autobiography
One Shakespeare Play
One Graphic Novel
Three Books that have been adapted into a film
The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire
Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
Ten Books of My Choice

It's a goofy list, but it's not an entirely odd selection. Like I said, this is about discipline. I love Stephen King, but I could care less about Nicholas Sparks. I need to read more Christian Fiction and I don't think I've ever read an African-American fiction novel all the way through, not since I was in middle school. I've been trying to finish ASOUE for years and I need to finish the Millennium and Hunger Games Trilogies. I won an Ann Coulter book through GOProud and I'm excited about it, but Poli-Sci and Social Science books...not my forte. I chose the Mortal Instruments because the movie is coming out this year and I love YA Fiction (don't ask me why). As much as I read, there's no reason for me to have never read a John Grisham or James Patterson novel. I tried to read a comic book when I was seven or eight and it made me sick, so the Graphic Novel is probably going to be the biggest challenge. Overall, it's going to be several steps outside my comfort zone throughout the year, but I'm excited. I've got two Ann Coulter books and the first two Mortal Instruments books ready to go.

Every month on the 13th I'll post an update on my progress. If you're interested in keeping track, I made an account on Goodreads.com. Just go to the "new years resolution" link to see what I've read so far. I hope you take this exciting and nerdy journey with me. Now tell me, what are your New Years Resolutions.

2 comments:

  1. Very ambitious, good luck with it! But avoid Joyce Carol Oates, if you don't know why, look up what she was spouting off about over on Twitchy.

    All the best - Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. 50 books is a great goal, the key is to pick writers who's style is best for you to read. There are very good writers out there who's books I can't get 50 pages into in a month so only read the authors you like. You will succeed!

    Ken

    ReplyDelete

Please comment and tell me what you think! But be careful! Comments are moderated, and if you have something vile and nasty to say, I will put you on blast. I am a woman of my word :)