Tuesday, October 30, 2012

There's Something About Lilly Ledbetter

I've been getting a lot of this on twitter lately, and, frankly, it's starting to get on my nerves. Obama's voice must be so charming and smooth people forget to do their own research or learn stuff. I wasn't the best student in high school, but History and ELP (Economics, Legal, and Political) were my absolute favorites. It's easy stuff. The Lilly Ledbetter Act wasn't on my radar until a few months. I kept hearing it, but I didn't care, until President Obama wouldn't shut up about it, so I looked it up myself. Why that's so hard for Obama Zombie Liberals is beyond me.

So what is The Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act? Ignore the "Fair Pay" part because that's kind of a misnomer. The Act does not guarantee equal pay. I will repeat: The Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act does not guarantee equal pay. What does it do? Stephen Feller from Newsmax.com puts it so eloquently:
The Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act extends the statute of limitations time frame within which a lawsuit can be brought against an employer for discriminatory actions, seemingly preventing a company from removing the employee responsible for the discrimination and escaping from any penalty for the action.
In English, instead of having only 180 days (or whatever the state's statute of limitations on that particular law happens to be) from the initial discrimination, that 180 days resets with each new paycheck. The act does not say an employer must pay a woman equal to a man. THE Equal Pay Act was signed in 1963 by John Kennedy. Equal pay is still a problem, of course. What this law does is it allows for more lawsuits without fixing the problem, which is a recurring theme throughout Obama's presidency. I, me personally, happen to like statute of limitations. Thought some of them seem unfair, I understand the purpose and need for them. To me, it helps guarantee a person's right to due process under the law.

In order for women to get equal pay they have to have a job first. With regards to unemployment, women are suffering worse than men and I was one of those women up until a few weeks ago. Now I'm underemployed working a crap job I thank God everyday for. Honestly, equal pay is not at the top of my list. So next time anyone decides to come at me on twitter claiming I don't support equal pay because I'm voting for Romney I'm going to throw a link to this post at them like a punch to the face.

3 comments:

  1. I am saving you to my favorites. I look forward to following you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a Democratic supporter, well maybe I should former supporter(I'm really undecided), even I have to agree that some liberals don't really get the understanding of this act, which is exactly as you explained it. I feel embarassed to be classified with the same group of supporters as these guys sometimes.

    Great blog and I see you get countless hate comments from liberals on Twitter. Well, I'm not one of them. Stay strong. =)

    ReplyDelete

Please comment and tell me what you think! But be careful! Comments are moderated, and if you have something vile and nasty to say, I will put you on blast. I am a woman of my word :)