Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Art of Desperation

These attack ads are getting ridiculous. Desperation, maybe? The AFSCME, one of the largest labor unions in the country, released this ad:



Many people work thankless jobs and know they will never be thanked or appreciated or recognized for what they do, but they do it because they want to or they need the money. It's called service. Men and women don't join the military for the recognition or the respect. Most teachers don't become teachers to get voted best teacher. And I've never met a garbage man who picks up garbage to get hugs and Gatorade. Richard Hayes, the man in the ad, personifies what's wrong with Obama supporters: unless you're someones mother or father, or you're God, no one owes you anything. As a society we should thank people for the things they do for our community, but there's something wrong with you if you get into a business expecting it.

It seems the AFSCME is trying to capitalize on Romney's 47% line by showing the country he doesn't care about poor people. Though they claim to be non-partisan, they're clearly liberal, and, like most liberals, they don't do well with research or facts.


That is Mitt Romney collecting trash in Massachusetts when he was running for Governor. He had this to say in his book 2010 book No Apology:
"During my campaign for governor, I decided to spend a day every few weeks doing the jobs of other people in Massachusetts. Among other jobs, I cooked sausages at Fenway Park, worked on asphalt paving crew, stacked bales of hay on a farm, volunteered in an emergency room, served food at a nursing home, and worked as a child-care assistant. I’m often asked which was the hardest job – it’s child care, by a mile.
One day I gathered trash as a garbage collector. I stood on that little platform at the back of the truck, holding on as the driver navigated his way through the narrow streets of Boston. As we pulled up to traffic lights, I noticed that the shoppers and businesspeople who were standing only a few feet from me didn’t even see me. It was as if I was invisible. Perhaps it was because a lot of us don’t think garbage men are worthy of notice; I disagree – anyone who works that hard deserves our respect. – I wasn’t a particularly good garbage collector: at one point, after filling the trough at the back of the truck, I pulled the wrong hydraulic lever. Instead of pushing the load into the truck, I dumped it onto the street. Maybe the suits didn’t notice me, but the guys at the construction site sure did: “Nice job, Mitt,” they called. “Why don’t you find an easier job?” And then they good-naturedly came down and helped me pick up my mess."
Mitt Romney didn't make a career out of it or spend more than a day, but it makes the union look like idiots. What it says about Mitt Romney is he is someone who took the time to put himself in another person's shoes. That's a lot better than a man who is arrogant enough to claim he should receive a thank you.

(photo and quote courtesy of National Review Online)

1 comment:

  1. When unions conduct campaigns like this -- especially public employee unions like AFSCME -- you can count on the workers speaking as if it is their lot in life to be where they are, never to rise above, and they are so terribly wounded not to be noticed by the wealthy. They make it seem like they're in Dickensian England, alongside Oliver Twist and the Artful Dodger begging for more gruel, when in fact they are in 21st Century America, which is STILL the envy of the rest of the world.

    To clarify for people who still don't get it: "The American Dream" is NOT the outcome, it is the opportunity! People came to America not because everyone here had purposeful work and their own home, but because they came from places where self-determination was either nearly or completely impossible, and they could work toward that goal. Immigrants have thrived in the United States because they are used to working furiously in the lands of their birth with little to show for it but survival, whereas in the United States your potential is unlimited if you're willing to save, scratch, and sacrifice. As the old blues song goes, some people want to pay the cost to be the boss; others don't, but they will still do fine if they continue to work hard.

    I won't make any snap judgments about the intelligence or diligence of Richard or the other people featured in this deceptive, dishonest drivel (e.g., the lesson of Wisconsin was that reducing government spending shrinks deficits and creates jobs), but I will say this as someone who knows several garbage collectors personally: The reasons why they stay at their job are because 1. Unions like AFSCME & SEIU or the Teamsters have municipal governments by the short hairs because citizens won't tolerate sanitation strikes for long; 2. They most likely can't get better salaries or more lavish pensions in any other profession that does NOT require an advanced degree. One retired trash collector I know is VERY aware of how ridiculous his pension is, but he doesn't feel guilty enough to give any of the money back (not that he should, or that I expect that of him).

    All that "I'm going to be broken down when I'm in my 50's or 60's" schtuff reminds me of the '60s Saturday morning cartoon Super Chicken, a spoof on the old Batman series. Superhero Super Chicken's Robinesque sidekick was a lumbering lion named Fred, who had no access to the cool gadgets and tools that his boss kept on his person. Whenever Fred complained that fact would end up getting him cartoon-injured, Super Chicken's response was "You knew the job was dangerous when you took it!"

    ReplyDelete

Please comment and tell me what you think! But be careful! Comments are moderated, and if you have something vile and nasty to say, I will put you on blast. I am a woman of my word :)