Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Oh, Mercy!

So...Nicki Minaj upset the masses yesterday. In a song titled Mercy, a remake of Kanye West's song, Nicki "rapped" this, and I quote:
"I'm a republican voting for Mitt Romney/you lazy bitches are fucking up the economy."
I have one Nicki Minaj song on my iPod from before she signed with Lil Wayne, I've never heard Super Bass in it's entirety, and whenever she's on TV I have to ask someone, "Is that Nicki Minaj?" She's someone I would have found appealing in the sixth grade, but all the extras and the gimmicks and alter egos don't appeal to me. Without a doubt, she's talented and I have a lot of respect for her, but she is not my cup of tea. However, I don't have to listen to her lyrics to know to take what she says with a grain of salt. Is she serious? I don't think so. I think this is her saying a line just to get attention or mocking him and his supporters or being someone else, but I won't think she's serious until she comes out and says it. If she is serious, she'll probably cave to pressure and go back in the closet like so many do. Such a shame. Either way, the reaction on twitter was/is hilariously typical: 
"If Obama looses this election, it is yo fault. Your fans are out here talking about they're Republicans now. Stupid hoe."

"As if you needed another reason to hate nicki minaj, bitch is a republican. Uncle Tom-ass bitch"

"Nicki Minaj just said she voting for Mitt Romney on the mercy freestyle on dedication 4.smh” Lmao! Her uncle tom sellout ass"

"Nicki Minaj is a sell out. After a while she will stop making music for ppl of color."
I've yet to find a word that accurately describes how this makes me feel. Not angry. Not upset. All I can do is shake my head. It's sad people can be so hateful, ignorant, and misguided. It's as if parents don't teach their children respect anymore, or a sense of individuality. I'm no fan, but she doesn't deserve to be treated this way. Adam Levine is an uber-liberal, and a bigot if I'm going to be honest, but I still listen to his band's first three albums (I thought this new one was crap) and I've seen them in concert twice. I've been a fan of the Dixie Chicks for years and Natalie Maines is a liberal Democrat. James Taylor, who was in Charlotte performing yesterday, said he would do anything for Obama. He can say whatever he wants as long as he stays awesome. Musicians are there to provide me with good music; I could care less what their political views are. Is Nicki Minaj not free to have her own political views? Do they have to reflect the masses? I don't think she's voting for Romney, but it is something to see her get the black conservative treatment. I wonder how she'll respond.

1 comment:

  1. Well, as a right winger, we have to tolerate left wing musicians because there aren't many good right wing ones. Those darn liberals don't have that problem.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment and tell me what you think! But be careful! Comments are moderated, and if you have something vile and nasty to say, I will put you on blast. I am a woman of my word :)