Saturday, August 11, 2012

To Be An "Uncle Tom"


This dude has been calling me an Uncle Tom on twitter all day because I'm a black republican and it bothers him. I guess this is his way of trying to recruit me back to the liberal plantation, but I'm not buying it. Most blacks are socially and fiscally conservative, but vote Democrat. Why? Truthfully, I don't understand it. I don't see the problem with thinking outside your skin color and seeing the issues as they are and making a judgment based on the issue itself and not the color of the guy who's behind it. I didn't like Obama's "Hope and Change" gimmick or his big government promises. Not my cup of tea, so I didn't vote for him. I vote with my head and my heart, not my skin color. But this dude seems to think I'm an Uncle Tom, that I'm betraying "my people" by supporting Mitt Romney. As far as I'm concerned, my people are people of God and my loyalty is to Christ. Obama's skin color doesn't tell me what he thinks what his actions are or will be. Being black doesn't make him better than my white neighbor or worse than my white friend. The "content of his character" isn't etched into his skin.

In the book, Uncle Tom died because he wouldn't betray two runaway slaves. Uncle Tom forgave his master who killed him and he stayed with his third master because he wanted him to come to know Christ. Uncle Tom is a liberal's worst nightmare, a man who follows the Lord and not society. Harriet Beecher Stowe wrote Uncle Tom to show the humanity of the slave forcing many white people to see slaves through the eyes of Christ. White Democrats turned Uncle Tom upside down into a subservient dummy who would do anything for his master. Simply put, Uncle Tom was a man of God who wanted people to know Christ and died preaching the gospel to the man who killed him. Uncle Tom is a hero, but this ignorant individual can't seem to wrap that around his head.

A lot of things bother me, but I don't make it my day job to insult them in hopes they'll see things my way. People are who they are and a lot of people are think differently than me, and I'm okay with that. Being called an "Uncle Tom" doesn't hurt my feelings because I know better, and because Jesus said, "If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first." (John 15:18 NIV). I hope I could be more like Uncle Tom and die to insure that someone else gets to be free. I could block this guy and be done with him, but I'm having too much fun laughing at his audacity, thinking insults will change me. I am who I am. Take me or leave me.

3 comments:

  1. Savannah, I'm going to the library. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robert, it's free for kindle on Amazon. I just read it a few months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think (and it's a very qualified) that the reason that dude has been harassing you about being a Republican is that overall, black people do not trust the Republican Party and don't feel it's looking out for their interests. That trust issue trumps other values and ideology. Changing that is a generational issue, just like getting Blacks to trust the Democratic Party was a long term, generational issue.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment and tell me what you think! But be careful! Comments are moderated, and if you have something vile and nasty to say, I will put you on blast. I am a woman of my word :)