Thursday, August 16, 2012

This Angry Black Man

I heard something today, and I'm still trying to process it and collect my thoughts, so forgive me if I stumble or step on a few toes. People say a lot of crazy things, and I usually don't let it anger me. Joe Biden's "back in chains" gaffe hit a nerve, but it didn't anger me. Obama's campaign has been on the hateful side and Mitt Romney responded to that by telling him to "take his campaign of division and anger and hate back to Chicago.” Everyone knows what Chicago politics are, so it's not that hard to comprehend the context. Unfortunately for Mitt, some people are just slow. MSNBC has a show called "The Cycle" which hosts three liberals and a conservative, one of those liberals being a black man named Touré. No last name, just Touré. He responded to Mitt's comment with:
That really bothered me. You notice he said anger twice. He’s really trying to use racial coding and access some really deep stereotypes about the angry black man. This is part of the playbook against Obama, the "otherization," he’s not like us...I know it’s a heavy thing, I don’t say it lightly, but this is "niggerization." You are not one of us, you are like the scary black man who we’ve been trained to fear.
I've never been called a nigger (by a white person) to my face, but my mom shared a story with me about her when she was young and she ran into the KKK. She was by herself and he was a ways away, but not so far she couldn't see the noose he was waving in his hands. For Touré to use "nigger" in whatever form is to equate Mitt Romney to that man my Mama saw. I don't know if Touré is just young and ignorant or if he himself is just an "angry black man," but for him to throw "nigger" around more than angers me; it pisses me off. That is a heavy word, like a loaded gun. While it's value is negative, it does have value. Nigger comes from three hundred years of slavery, decades of Jim Crow, and my Mama alone with a ghost. Nigger comes from my biracial aunt who had trouble making friends. It comes from Martin Luther King Jr.'s life and death to the easy to google image of Emmett Till's dead body. Many black liberals jump at the chance to tell me I don't know my roots, but Touré, intelligent black man, can't see the sickness in his mentality, digging for hate and racism where there is none because he himself is an angry black man who obviously doesn't know where he comes from.

Touré's use of the word "niggerization" is cheap. It's bad enough young black kids throw it around like people didn't die hearing that word, but he's a grown man and he should know better. It waters down the meaning of hate and racism, and it cheapens the struggle and fight of black men and women who came before him. It shows his own hatred and ignorance. Obama's campaign is angry, there's no denying that. Touré has an issue with anyone who would dare criticize Obama and call him what he is. The black community has it's share of problems, and Touré is the personification of the deep root of those problems. It's sad Touré has a platform where his ignorant and hateful rhetoric can be heard, but maybe there is a positive spin. If anything, Touré should an example for our young black men and women on how not to conduct themselves.

8 comments:

  1. Obama is the worst president in my lifetime. The meanest thing I can say with regard to race is that our society will not truly be evolved until we can elect a black man who is actually qualified for the office and not spend the next 4 years calling half the country racist for disagreeing with his policies.

    The N word is not in the vernacular of most conservatives (and NEVER among T partiers I've known), it is however on the lips of every liberal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Savannah, thank you for being a black conservative voice out there. Someday, I hope we conservatives do break the black voting monopoly. Which is sad, really, since many blacks are indeed Christian, conservative, moral folks.

    Now, most importantly, I concur that Touré was an ignorant buffoon for what he said.

    The N-word: I have mixed feelings. First of all, like the rebel flag there is a very bad history associated with use of that word. It is a loaded and hurtful word. I don't think it's wise to use it. On the other hand, I completely disagree with the notion that because someone (specifically a non-black person) utters that word they're a racist per se. I do know white people who use that word synonymously with "black trash," almost like cracker or honky would be synonymous with "white trash."

    Now, obviously the N-word--and why I don't even spell it out--is much, much different than those other words: there may not be an equivalent word in the English language that carries such a tumultuous past.

    I guess my greater point is that mainly the LEFT is so hypersensitive about these issues that a lib could not even remotely envision someone who uttered that word as NOT being a racist. And that, ironic as it may seem, is prejudicial to me. It perturbs me that Don Imus called the Tennessee women's college basketball team "good looking" and then he uses the word "nappy" on the other college basketball team and he's branded a racist. Both teams contained black gals so it was nonsense!

    I hope you understand my points and I hope I haven't offended you. I enjoy offending libs, but not conservatives. :) Keep up the good fight, my friend!

    pancake.j.flapjack@xoxy.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanx for the deep insight on the use of this word, I never really quite got it, only to know that it strikes a horrible nerve/memory for so many and your post puts a much finer tip on the reasons why it is wrong, it will certainly help me to explain it those who may ask me "why" it is wrong. It goes much further than the legacy if slavery.
    I am so disappointed that this is the direction this election has taken, seems to me we can never get past basic differences if some use those things to gain the upper hand.
    Thanks for the post, my friend.
    You're a great American for writing it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course you realize that a calm and reasoned response will cause head
    explosions on the left or absolute silence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are wise beyond your years, my friend. Let your voice be heard the world over.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very impressive posting and an impressive blog sir. Good for you! This is my first visit. I really liked your views on Christianity. Keep up the fine work

    ReplyDelete
  7. Damn! I'm really sorry for calling you sir. It's early in the morning here and I haven't had my coffee yet also I wasn't paying close enough attention to what I was typing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a troll. The clues are in the bio. I bet you fool a lot of folks.LOL

    ReplyDelete

Please comment and tell me what you think! But be careful! Comments are moderated, and if you have something vile and nasty to say, I will put you on blast. I am a woman of my word :)