Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Double Standards

Another politician has a terrible case of foot-in-mouth syndrome and unfortunately this time around he's a Republican. Todd Aikn's comments about "legitimate rape" are obviously reprehensible and worthy of reproach, but should he drop out of the race. A few days ago, I was unsure. I don't like giving up and I don't like telling people to give up and I believe everyone, regardless of what they've said or done, deserves forgiveness, but I'm out of my hippie funk and I have an answer. YES, he should have dropped out of the race. Any other time I would have told him to fight the good fight and keep on, but this election is too important. He has the potential to risk not just his senate seat, but the White House as well. Democrats are going to do everything in their power to associate his comments with the whole party, Romney included, and that chance isn't worth it. I had never heard of Todd Aikn before this, and I don't have a long list of gaffes that may give a clue as to what's in his heart, but he needs to take one for the team and step back. However, the double standard is hilarious. Sandra Fluke gave her .02 cents on Obama's Truth Team website and said this:
"Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan tried to distance themselves from the remark—but the fact is they’re in lockstep with Akin on the major women’s health issues of our time."
Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan are pro-life, obviously, but do they share Todd Aikn's "views" on rape...uh no. She'll go on to talk about how the Republican party approved the Human Life Amendment, which is partially true. The party as a whole didn't approve this amendment, the RNC did. Most pro-life Republicans I know prefer things like abortion or gun control to be a states issue and wait for Roe v. Wade to be overturned. Words matter, Miss Fluke. The Human Life Amendment opposes abortion in all cases, which I agree with and Mitt Romney doesn't. Mitt Romney has said many times he is anti-abortion except in cases of rape, incest, or if the mother's life is in danger. This isn't in lockstep with the RNC, and Sandra Fluke knows this. She's one of many trying to clump Republicans into the same boat, but let's go by her logic. Just for fun.

If all Republicans share Todd Aikn's views, according to Sandra Fluke, then all democrats are black-pandering Racists, unfaithful dogs with illegitimate children, KKK members, spineless cowards who leave their girlfriends to drown, lying liars, lazy coeds who want others to pay for their sex life, and big nasties who have Craigslist rest-stop sex with seventeen-year-old boys.

I could go on, but you get the point. The Republican version of Sandra Fluke (if there is one) isn't going around calling all Democrats lazy, racist, murdering, lying pedos because of what a few individuals have done. Some people have sense enough to know that an individual is just that. Do I think all Democrats are racist? Of course not. But this is something to keep in mind when Sandra "I'm gonna speak for Obama publicly but I'm a total private citizen, don't hurt my feelings" Fluke decides to play this game.

While this sets Republicans back just a tad, the situation shows Republican leaders have standards. From Missouri Republican leaders to Mitt Romney, the response was quick and unified: apologize and drop out of the race. Go back a week to Joe Biden's "put ya'll back in chains" comment and the Obama surrogate response was to distance themselves and pretend it didn't happen. It was the usual, "you misunderstood, took him out of context," mantra but not person from Obama's campaign had the moral courage to say he was wrong. For Republicans, it wasn't moral courage it was the right thing to do. Ponder that as this mess plays out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment and tell me what you think! But be careful! Comments are moderated, and if you have something vile and nasty to say, I will put you on blast. I am a woman of my word :)