Thursday, August 2, 2012

Between Sit-Ins and Kiss-Ins

How many people got breakfast, lunch, and dinner at Chick-Fil-A yesterday? I went to three different stores in my area and was surprised by the turnout. I figured it was going to be busy, but I wasn't expecting what I saw and what I heard from all around the country. Pictures starting flooding in from California to New Jersey of lines out the door and around the block and stores running out of food. Everyone was out there for different reasons. Some to show their support for traditional marriage, but most to stand up for free speech. The turnout sends a message to mayors who talk too much that they don't run things.

Tomorrow starts the liberal leg of this protest. They're holding a Kiss-In. Like I've said, I've worked for two Chick-Fil-As. We've never turned anyone away for being gay and I had co-workers who were gay and bisexual. Forgive me if I don't understand the purpose behind their Kiss-In. The word "Kiss-In" obviously comes from "sit-in." In the 60s, black men and women would hold sit-ins at restaurants that refused to serve them. Most of those ended in arrest and trespassing charges, while many were able to get service. Are gay men and women going to walk into Chick-Fil-As and kiss until they get service? It should be a short protest since Chick-Fil-A doesn't refuse service to anyone based on race, gender, religion, political affiliation, or sexual orientation. Are they going to kiss until Dan Cathy forsakes his God and starts endorsing same-sex marriage? Well that shatters their "tolerance" narrative if that's the case. So what's the point?

Gay Activists always lose when they compare their issues to the Civil Rights Movement of the 50s and 60s, and this is why. Gay people in 2012 aren't walking around afraid they're going to be lynched and I'm sure they didn't walk into the primaries worried if someone was going to keep them from voting. I'm pretty sure they get to sit in the front of the bus, walk through the front door of restaurants and movie theaters, and go to decent public schools and colleges. In many places, for a black and white couple to be together AT ALL was a crime. Gay people can hold hands in public and hold ceremonies to celebrate their union. The only problem is they can't call it a contractual domestic partnership according to some state laws. That pretty much sums it up. So to call it a Kiss-In as if they can't go in and buy a chicken sandwich without passing a test is insulting and ignorant.

I have no issue with protest. If people don't want to spend their money at Chick-Fil-A or they want to stand on the sidewalk and hold signs, then that's good. It's America. We have the freedom to express ourselves and we have a right to protest. However, know this: Your rights don't exist on private property. Remember that. Chick-Fil-A is a family organization and managers will protect their employees and their customers. As long as they're not disrupting business, things should be fine.

But I still don't get the end goal, what they're trying to accomplish with this Kiss-In. Dan Cathy is not going to stop loving Jesus because of who they kiss and Chick-Fil-A employees aren't going to stop serving everyone and WinShape is not going to shut down. Chick-Fil-A isn't Rush Limbaugh or Don Imus. They don't have sponsors or advertisers or donors. All they do is make money and give money. To ask an American citizen to change his personal views to suit their own would go against their message of tolerance. Is this a "Ha-Ha let's show them" kind of effort because PDA always gets the point across and forcing their lifestyle on others is the way to go? Is it respect they want? That makes more sense because nothing says "I deserve respect" like making out in front of children. It won't portray homosexuals as the sexual deviants, that's for sure. Truthfully, they're better off standing on the side of the road and on sidewalks with signs while Chick-Fil-A employees offer them cups of ice water.

3 comments:

  1. Tomorrow should be "Get A Room" day:
    Anytime these couples try to exchange spit, there should be at least four or five people telling them to get a room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm not quite sure what the overall goal is, but I really hope the homosexual movement isn't to compared to the civil rights movement.

    btw, I bet Cathy is enjoying all that free publicity. I know I would.

    ~Chap
    www.insaneasylumblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's summarize:

    Carbonite caters to left wing bullies and sales plummet
    Chick Fil A stands strong and sales go through the roof.


    Hmmmm. There might be an MBA case study in there.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment and tell me what you think! But be careful! Comments are moderated, and if you have something vile and nasty to say, I will put you on blast. I am a woman of my word :)