Sunday, August 12, 2012

America's Comeback Team came to Mooresville

What a day! This has been the best day all summer and the best day I've had in a long time. As you know, Mitt Romney announced yesterday he has chosen Paul Ryan, a U.S. Congressman from Wisconsin, to be his running mate. They're going on a little bus tour and one of their stops was Mooresville at the NASCAR Universal Training Institute, which is about thirty minutes from where I live. How often do you get to see the next president of the United States or anyone that big in politics live, so I jumped at the opportunity. Doors opened at 8:30 and I got there at 7:45am. I'm glad I got there when I did because the line was around the building and down the street. A lot of people couldn't get in and as you can see from that picture, I got a very good spot.

Yeah, I stuck out like a sore thumb, and the only black people I saw there were people who were working the campaign, selling buttons and t-shirts. No one would work or volunteer for something like that if they didn't believe in it, so it was awesome to see their support. I wasn't sure what the turnout would be, it being last minute and in middle-of-nowhere Mooresville and all, but I met people from ALL OVER: Union County, Concord, Salisbury, Charlotte, Mooresville, and Davidson. I'm sure Paul Ryan had a lot to do with the turnout, but so what. The VP pick, for many people, was the solid something they needed to feel confident about their decision, and Paul Ryan is about as solid as you can get it. People aren't taking this election lightly, it's not just about Republican or Democrat. It's the wrong choice versus the right choice. Mitt Romney with a side of Paul Ryan feels like the right choice.

Richard Burr and Patrick McHenry spoke, as well as candidates Richard Hudson, Robert Pittenger, and Pat McCrory. People were screaming for Paul Ryan like he was a rock star and Mitt Romney looked at him like a proud son. From what I could guess, there were also overwhelmed by the turnout and Mitt and his wife, Ann, had tears in their eyes. It was great to see him so humbled, amazed, and grateful for the support. They spoke, it was awesome, and it felt good to be surrounded by like minded people. The room was electric and amped up and you could feel people's excitement and hope. North Carolina is a battleground state, so I'm sure they'll come back. And I'll be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment and tell me what you think! But be careful! Comments are moderated, and if you have something vile and nasty to say, I will put you on blast. I am a woman of my word :)