Saturday, June 23, 2012

The "Gay" Box


I should start a business. Did I say Dan Savage would stick his foot in his mouth again? I sure did! This boy is unbelievable. Yes, I said boy. "Man" is reserved for those who deserve the title; Dan Savage is too childish. For those who still don't know who he is, he is a gay liberal activist, columnist, Reality TV star, and founder of the anti-bully project "It Gets Better." His goal has been to provide hope for bullied teens, especially LGBT teens and to stop this "bully epidemic" in America. I laugh every time he talks about bullying and respect, because he's not how he presents himself.

A few days ago, the gay conservative group GOProud, co-founded by Chris Barron and Jimmy LaSalvia, announced their endorsement for Mitt Romney. Not one to hide his feelings, the above is what Dan Savage had to say. He could have used any insult or epithet, but he chose the gay derivative of "house nigger". I shouldn't have to explain how that makes me feel. I've been called a number of names; Oreo, House Negro, House Nigger, Uncle Tom, Auntie Tom, self-hatin nigga. It's been going on way before I became conservative, so I get what GOProud is feeling. And let's not forget Miss Joy Behar, co-host of "The View," who asked a group of gay liberals on Current TV (yeah, I don't know what that is either), "Could it be that the GOProud guys are just attracted to Mitt Romney's sons Matt, Mutt, Tag, Tip, Tack, and Bashful?" Who says that? It's astonishing, more than it is hurtful. So many gay liberals are stuck in this box, this closed idea of what it means to be gay. How to walk gay, speak gay, think gay. The only gay issue that matters is gay adoption and gay marriage and every gay person should like Pride Parades. Believe it or not, there are gay people who do not support gay adoption or who don't believe in redefining marriage and would prefer civil unions. You have a lot of gay people who are Patriots first, who believe in a strong private sector and a small federal government, who believe they are more than their sexuality. GOProud happens to support gay marriage, but that's not their priority. They're basic conservative: small government, lower taxes, personal responsibility, and Second Amendment. Their thinking is outside the "gay" box, and yet we as conservatives are close-minded? Dan Savage likes to blame right wingers, tea baggers, and homophobic bigot Jesus Freaks for adding fuel to the bully flame, but his words give people permission to be intolerant and to spit hate at those who think and act differently. GOProud understands that oppression is a mindset and they refuse to be slaves to it.

I didn't know there were gay conservatives or other black conservatives like myself until I stumbled upon a website called "GayPatriot." Truthfully, I wouldn't be as outspoken as I am if it weren't for the bravery and courage of gay conservatives like GOProud and GayPatriot, so this is personal to me and I'm angry about it. Does it change my views on homosexuality and gay marriage? No, but no one deserves to be treated that way; and I like Chris Barron and Jimmy LaSalvia, and I got their back. Dan Savage is no different than the kids on the middle school bus who called me an Oreo because I wasn't "black enough." He's a bully and Joy is a mean girl. Instead of trying to understand something that's different or outside of their norm, they attack. It's a knee jerk reaction to fear. Dan Savage and Joy Behar are threatened by gay people who think outside their bedroom.

5 comments:

  1. Insightful and so true. Great thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting.

    ~Chap
    www.insaneasylumblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy the irony of the guy who started an anti-bully project being a bully himself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just stumbled upon you on twitter. Enjoying the posts!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment and tell me what you think! But be careful! Comments are moderated, and if you have something vile and nasty to say, I will put you on blast. I am a woman of my word :)