Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Book of Miley: Don't Judge

I used to be a huge Miley Cyrus fan, believe it or not. I used to have the first season of Hannah Montana on DVD (before I sold it) and I still have her Breakout album and some Hannah songs on my iPod. My fandom started to slow down when "Party in the USA" came out. Great song, but it didn't do anything for me. Then The Last Song came out, and she was terrible. When she released her "Can't Be Tamed" album, I said it was going to flop and it felt kind of good to be right. Miley fell into the "I'm gonna sex up my image to show the world I'm not a kid" trap and it failed. Miley's biggest draw was her love for God and modesty. She's thrown modesty out of the window because she's "not a kid", and I have to wonder if she even reads the bible anymore. In reference to her acceptance of homosexuality she has tweeted "God is Love," "We're all God's children" and the new one is "your (sic) not God and he says he is the only one to judge". Oy Vey! I'm going to go out on a limb and say Miley was talking talking about Matthew 7:1-2, which says,  "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." What Miley is saying would make sense if verses three through five didn't exist:
Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.
 Jesus is warning against hypocritical judgment. Who are we to tell someone to fix themselves if we won't work on our own sin? God is the ultimate judge, but we are called to be righteous judges according to his Word.

Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage —with great patience and careful instruction.
      - 2 Timothy 4:2
It's insane to think we should keep our mouths shut or refrain from discerning what is right and wrong. Jesus came to the world and wasn't silent, and we're called to follow in his footsteps. If you see your brother walking in sin, then you say something. You don't condemn, of course. You tell him what the word of God says and offer him a solution. That is love. James 5:20 says, "Whoever turns a sinner from the error of their way will save them from death and cover over a multitude of sins." It's not "judging" to call sin what it is, it's what we're supposed to do. And we can call it sin because God's Word says it is sin and He gives us the authority to proclaim His Word. God gave us His Word so that we know the way we should go and we can show others. This whole thing started with Miley's new button which says "Homophobia is a Social Disease" and tweeting to "#stopspreadinhate", and a fan responded with "It's not hate, its what's right." Miley's response to her was the tweet up there. The fan is right. Calling homosexuality sin is not hate, nor is it judging. Our job as Christians doesn't start with our silence.


When I say to a wicked person, ‘You will surely die, ’ and you do not warn them or speak out to dissuade them from their evil ways in order to save their life, that wicked person will die for their sin, and I will hold you accountable for their blood. But if you do warn the wicked person and they do not turn from their wickedness or from their evil ways, they will die for their sin; but you will have saved yourself.
      - Ezekiel 3:18-19

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment and tell me what you think! But be careful! Comments are moderated, and if you have something vile and nasty to say, I will put you on blast. I am a woman of my word :)