Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Book of Carrie: Gay Friendly

Yesterday or earlier in the week, Carrie Underwood came out in support of gay marriage. Not surprising, its a Hollywood thing. She even called her church "gay friendly." What does this mean?

It's a shame. I'm kind of looking at churches right now, trying to figure out where I fit in. Finding a church used to be about style of worship and little particulars like speaking in tongues or baptism. Now I have to make sure a church doesn't support homosexuality. I shouldn't have to ask that question. If the Bible calls it sin, then that should be the end of it. Now, you have churches like Carrie's that are "gay friendly." "Gay Friendly" churches are a type of dead church, they've fallen into culture and out of the word of God. This people-pleasing tainted version of Christianity is Carrie Underwood's religion. It has to be or else she wouldn't say what she said.

Carrie said, "Above all, God wanted us to love others. It's not about setting rules, or [saying] 'everyone has to be like me'. No. We're all different. That's what makes us special. We have to love each other and get on with each other. It's not up to me to judge anybody." Is this the Hollywood translation of the Bible, because I've never heard of this? God's goal for us isn't to be the same or to be different, but to be more like Him and different from the world. She's right that it's about love, but this idea of "love" in these dead gay friendly churches is out of touch with who God is. Love isn't seeing your brother in sin and keeping your mouth shut. Love isn't keeping your mouth shut because you're afraid of the reaction. Love isn't ignoring parts of the Bible because they don't measure up to what the world is doing. Some so-called Christian churches are deciding that homosexuality is okay. Their decision doesn't change what God has said. God called it sin and serving your sin instead of Jesus will land you in hell. If you don't tell someone that...then you're not loving them. That's not hate, that's the Bible.

Jesus didn't sugarcoat, Paul didn't preach a dumbed down version of Christianity, and neither of them gave a damn about anyone's feelings. Both of them, however, spoke on sin and the consequences of sin and they were honest about it. We are called to do the same. For the wages of sin is death. Carrie's church doesn't change that.

1 comment:

  1. Savannah, interesting blog. I identify myself as a moderate. I was once a 'Super Conservative' but I've progressed over the past few years. I'm also a Christian. My issue with the whole gay marriage issue is it should not matter to individuals. Marriage was taken out of church the day I could go down to City Hall and get married instead of in a church. The fact that a atheist or agnostic can get married is evidence as well. My issue is how the Bible is cherry picked in regards to what is relevant and what is not. When I read Leviticus alone there are many things that good God fearing Christians do that is deemed a sin. Furthermore, some Christians argue Paul made the Jewish laws of the old testament null and avoid, except homosexuality of course. This may be true based on interpretation I'm no theologian. But outside of that I think its important to follow Thomas Jefferson effort to define the diff between church and state and while no church should be forced to marry same-sex couples, no government in the U.S. should be able to deny 1, 2 3, or 10 for that matter consenting adults getting married. I think its a shame that a convicted murderer will be embraced in a church faster then a homosexual. I'm a bigger believer in leading by example and show Jesus' love. Though I know telling someone something is wrong is not nesseacrily evil and you are trying to save their goal but with so much itnerputation and so much translation in the history of the Bible(I could write for another week on what King James, and Constatine did alone) I believe its best to share and spread love, pray to God seperate your religous beliefs from the will of the people...What if instead of Judeo-Christian values being the foundation of our country it had been Jewish laws...what if you wanted ribs but was told its a sin because its pig, or wanted to eat shellfish, or as a woman was told it is unclean for you to share a bed with your husband during your time of the month because it was deemed unclean in the bible, or its unclean to cook diff foods in the same pan, or woman must be covered from neck to ankle be submissive to your husband, and bear children until your husband alone decides to stop, or you have no freedom of speech to write this blog, or its ok to keep slaves, or an adulterous woman alone (not the man) should be stoned...I can go on and on there are lots of rules/laws/sins in the Bible we choose to ignore but why is this issue so much greater? When I read the New Testament I'm most fond of the four gospels as they demonstrate the son of God going against the grain of everything...he saves the adulterer, eats with the tax collector, touches the lepers, is resurrected and presents himself to woman first (at a time woman word was only as good as her husband because they had no independent thoughts or ideas legally)...he should time and time again that loving your brother as you love yourself is pinnacle to eternal life, not condemning and trying to change by force the 'sins' of others. Sorry about the long dissertation...LOL hope it shows my POV and perspective...also if you are bored you can read my motivational blog http://wwww.clintonjiggetts.me

    Side Note: I voted for BO in 2008 he was the lesser of two evils to me, but I voted for Bush II in 2000, and 2004 and in my state I normally vote republican but I technically hate both parties they both posture to big money and influence and they both pass laws that them exempt themselves from following and I've yet to see a politician outside of a municipality perhaps that I felt I could trust at their word. Its always the lesser of two evils for me , right now I'm leaning toward BO because Romney is to me a bigger follower then even BO.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment and tell me what you think! But be careful! Comments are moderated, and if you have something vile and nasty to say, I will put you on blast. I am a woman of my word :)