Tuesday, April 10, 2012

And So It Begins...

Rick Santorum dropped out of the race today, and it looks like Mitt Romney will be the nominee, which sucks for me as a North Carolinian because I REALLY wanted to vote in the primary. I didn't get to vote for a Republican in the 2008 primary, but that was my fault. I was still a registered Democrat, and I had to choose between Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton. But that's beside the point. I was sincerely looking forward to watching these grown men try to win my support and then placing my vote. I preferred Santorum over Romney, but I wasn't sold. I wanted Rick Perry, honestly, but the man was terrible in a debate. I liked Herman Cain's common sense (and I still do), but I don't think he was prepared for what was to come. Newt caught my eye, but I think his campaign is a lost cause, and should we even discuss Ron Paul?

The issue with the Republican Party right now is the conservative base, particularly the TEA Party, because the conservative base knows exactly what they want. They know what they want in a candidate, what changes they would like to see, and how they would like to see those changes carried out. Those are admirable qualities and I love being apart of that kind of group. Unfortunately, out of the four candidates we had to choose from none of them were perfect. Mitt Romney is too moderate in their eyes (and in mine), but Santorum was just good enough. Now that Santorum is gone, and Romney is set to carry the torch, what will "true" conservatives and the TEA Party do? The media keeps asking if they will rally around Mitt Romney. They're not going to vote for Obama, that's for damn sure, but my biggest fear is that they won't vote at all.

Yeah, I wanted a true conservative. I wanted Marco Rubio, Scott Walker, or Allen West to run, but its not their time. I accept that. I liked Rick Santorum as a conservative, but he's no longer an option. The way it looks, our options will be Romney or Obama, and we as Republicans have to come to terms with that. I would like to think that once people stop throwing little twitter fits and poking out their lips, that they'll rally around Romney and realize that their disappointment in Obama is bigger than all the things they wish Romney could be. I understand the similarities between Romneycare and Obamacare, but I also know the difference between Federal and State governments, so I'm not concerned. The point is that Obama is a failure and everything he said he wouldn't be. I wanted him to do well because I didn't want the first black president to go down in history as a dud, but he's gotta go.  To all the Republicans, "true" conservatives, and TEA Party people who are crossing their arms across their chest in defiance, I will say this: If Mitt Romney is the guy to represent the Republican Party and you refuse to vote for him, then you have two options,
  1. Vote for Obama
  2. Don't vote at all
Neither one will get you the candidate you so desire, but it will ensure that we get four more years of Obamanomics. Make a decision.

1 comment:

Please comment and tell me what you think! But be careful! Comments are moderated, and if you have something vile and nasty to say, I will put you on blast. I am a woman of my word :)